Monday, April 7, 2014

Erma, Here I Come, Again...


Since I started this blog almost seven years ago, it was my intent to provide insights, stories of memorable happenings and the occasional tidbit of useless information. I enjoy the process of getting an idea, working through the structure of the story and then trying to figure out how to get it to appear interesting on the blog in 400 hundred words or less. Deep down, I've always wanted to be a writer.

About four years ago I watched a CBS Sunday Morning news report on Erma Bombeck and the Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop held every two years in Dayton, Ohio. I had missed the deadline for the 2010 event, but what's another two years, right? I attended the event in '12 and had the time of my life.

Somehow, some way, I have even managed to score a ticket for this year's workshop. (That took some doing because I was literally out of the country when registration occurred [Thanks, Kathie] and it sold out in twelve hours.)

Yep, the event is this week and the Middle-Aged Fat Woman I'm going!

As I'm preparing for my trip to the Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop, there are a couple of things that I have been thinking about: making sure my mustache is shaved and how to introduce myself.

Should I go with the casual, "Hi, I used to be the Middle-Aged Fat Woman?" Or how about by nickname since childhood, "Hi, I'm G." and to really confuse people I can introduce myself by my mother-given name, "Hi, I'm Gianetta Mia Palmer" and indeed watch all sorts of questionable looks appear on others' faces.

I can see it now: "What?" "What did you say your name was?" "I don't think it's really polite for me to call you MA Fat Woman?" "Do you have anything else you go by?" "How do you pronounce your name again?" "Ohhhh, now I know why you go by G." "How do you spell that?" And so forth and so on...

Hopefully, once the introductions are over, the laughter will begin. There are going to be lots of funny people in town and I can't wait to laugh.

Watch out, Dayton! Here we come...and let the good times roll.

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin