Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wrong Number...Again

"Hi Helen, it's Doug from Automotive Excellence again. I've got your Saab ready to go."

I was sitting in the recliner half asleep when I was awakened by the phone ringing. Before I could reach over to get it the answering machine had kicked on and I wasn't too surprised to hear Doug going into his spiel searching for Helen. I couldn't resist this time so I picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Helen? Is that you?"

"Hello? Helen? Are you there?" he asked.

"No, this isn't Helen," I said. "You've dialed the wrong number and have been for the last ten years."

"Oh! Well, I'm not looking for Helen, I'm looking for Ellen. Is this 555-555-5555?"

"Yes, it is, but Ellen doesn't live here and I've had this same number for ten years," I replied.

"Oh?"

An awkward silence ensued and it seemed like I could hear Doug's brain trying to figure this one out.

"Well, this here is the only number I got for Ellen and if she wants her car back she'll have to call me. Sorry, I been bothering you all these years. There's just one thing before I hang up, I'm a pretty good mechanic, you don't need any work done, do you?"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny. I've had some interesting experiences with wrong numbers, but I don't know that they are interesting enough to be worth the bother.

Sherry at EX Marks the Spot

Betty said...

I used to get early morning calls from someone wanting to order donuts to take to work. The local bakery was one number different from mine. This woman just couldn't get it right, so, one morning, I took her order, said see you soon, and hung up. Funny, she never called back.

Real Live Lesbian said...

LMAO! What a great way to drum up new business!

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin