Friday, August 20, 2010

Welcomed To Walmart


If you missed my earlier post about the new Walmart opening in my town you can check it out here.

So, the big day finally arrived and Walmart threw open its shiny new doors to welcome the citizens of my small town. From what I heard, you'd have thought that the President had come to town. Well, maybe an ex-President, it is somewhat of a Republican lovin' area. I'm not sure if they had a band or not but I think the mayor might have been out there tooting his horn about getting them to come to town.

I waited until I thought an appropriate amount of time had passed before I ventured over to check out the store myself. I didn't want to seem too excited. But hey, there ain't much else to do in this place. It was after 5:00 PM when I finally entered the store and as I passed through the doors I was greeted by the nicest man wearing the biggest smile. "Welcome to Walmart," he said.

That was very nice I thought to myself. I turned left inside the store and that took me toward the garden department. Along the way I passed 3 associates and was again, "Welcomed to Walmart!" I smile politely and kept moving. Toy department, "Welcome to Walmart." Automotive department, another "Welcome to Walmart." By the time I made it around to the Bakery I swore I was being followed by an Army of blue shirts and khaki panted soldiers all chanting in unison, "Welcome to Walmart!"

Holy Crap! I get it! You had me at welcome.

I had a hard time leaving the Bakery. I was the fat kid in the candy store and the smells were out of this world. I left the doughnuts alone, and instead went for a freshly baked box of blueberry muffins. Not to go Rachael Ray on ya or anything but, "YUM!"

My last stop in the store was the produce section. I wondered what the price of bananas was going to be. Thirty-two cents a pound was what the tag above the display said. Well, that's definitely cheaper, but the selection was bad; the bananas already had brown spots on them. Better luck next time, I guess.

I didn't see the chocolate dipped strawberries and they weren't having a wine and cheese tasting event. Maybe that will happen in a few months when all of the welcoming has worn off, what do you think?

3 comments:

Betty said...

Maybe the woman who told you that was pulling your leg. About the bananas, in my town it is widely known that Wednesday is "Banana Day". The bananas are delivered on Wednesday morning, and that explains the crowds on that day. After Wednesday, you get brown spots.

Gianetta said...

I definitely do the Wednesday banana thing next time.

Grayquill said...

That must be a SuperWalmart if has a bakery. Don't worry, that Grand Opening attitude won't last for ever. It is only a matter of time until you will be Wallymarignored.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin