Friday, January 23, 2015

It's National Handwriting Day

Like a lot of people everywhere, my handwriting is something that leaves a lot to be desired. It's not the neatest and it's not filled with a bunch of swirly and outlandish loop-te-dos, although sometimes, I wish that it was. My signature is kinda boring and usually legible.

I've never understood why medical doctors handwriting is so bad. Is there a class for that? Bad handwriting 401? (I'm sure it's not a graduate course but I don't think they teach it freshman year, either.)

Nowadays, they don't even teach cursive writing in a lot of schools. What's up with that?

According to the site, holidayinsights, National Handwriting Day was established by the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association in 1977. January 23 was chosen because it is the birthdate of John Hancock, famed first signer of the Declaration of Independence and a man well known for his flourishing and billowy signature.

The purpose of the new day was to introduce the handwritten letter back to the American public. Electronic communications have nearly taken over the world. I'm always happy to receive any sort of fun and positive greeting through email, Facebook or what have you, but when I actually receive a letter or package through the mail, I get so excited that you would have thought that I had won the Powerball Jackpot or something.

"Hey, Mom, let me show you this super eCard that so and so sent me," is a sentence that I have never said to my mother. On the other hand, "Did you see this card that Big Red (sister) sent me through the mail? It's hilarious," is a line that I say a few times a year.

Another thing that you might want to consider is this: Why not write a handwritten love letter to the special person in your life for Valentine's Day? Don't get me wrong, chocolate, roses and a romantic dinner are all fine but slip in a thoughtful and personal note that you wrote and you're gonna score big time...in more ways than one.

Don't have a special someone to send a letter to? That's okay, send it to me. You might not get a super gushy "I love you, too" but as least you'll get a reply...and be able to read it.

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin