Monday, February 9, 2015

The Call Of The Brownies

Food network

One thing I've learned over the last few years as I continue to lose weight is that my body has a mind of its own, and at times, has way too much power. As with a lot of women, perhaps men, too, but I'm no expert on how their bodies work, at certain times during the month it is necessary for me to consume copious amounts of chocolate in many various forms.

In the past, a simple Hershey bar has done wonders to calm the nerves.

Sometimes, it takes two.

And other times, it takes a whole damn bag of Hershey kisses to calm it down. (I use "it" because I don't really have a better name for it. It could be called the roar of the feminine reproductive cycle but that doesn't quite have the catchy title I was going for. It will have to do.)

Having just returned from a short trip I had neglected to stop at the local gas station where on more than one occasion I have walked in with a $20 bill and walked out with a plastic bag filled with chocolate in as many forms as I can stand, one $2 lottery ticket and $.38 in change. Big mistake! (Hey! You can't blame me cause I HATE to stop anywhere when I am trying to get home. I just want to get off the road already.)

Did I say big mistake?

Well, it definitely was a huge mistake because as soon as I got my bag unpacked and the first load of laundry in the washer, it started working on my body. I immediately went to the candy jar and it was empty.

Next, I looked in the freezer and there wasn't any ice cream.

Then it was the fridge, where, Aha! I had Hershey's syrup but the ensuing sniffing of the milk jug negated that find. It was six days beyond the "best by date."

Moving next to the pantry where I never have anything that has chocolate in it but hoping nonetheless that I might have misplaced a brownie mix or a bag of chocolate chips I came up empty.

Finally, on to the last place where there might possibly be a chocolate find of some kind. I searched through the assorted mixes but only found a mix for blueberry muffins. They are okay most of the time but it wanted something more...it wanted brownies.

Then the phone rang..."Hello?" I answered.

"What are you doing?" my mom asked.

"I'm looking for chocolate. It has taken over me with a vengeance."

"Oh, dear. Why didn't you stop on the way home?"

"You know I hate to stop anywhere," I replied.

"I know. You're just like your father," she said. "Listen, did you get everything out of your car?"

"I think so. Did you forget something?"

"I bought a brownie mix when we stopped at the store and now I can't find it. I've got a hankering for some brownies."

"I'll go look in the car and call you back."

"Don't worry about it," she said. "I've got enough chocolate here to last a lifetime." (Jealous.)

Hanging up the phone, I slipped my shoes on and went out to my car--there stuck between the seats was the mix. Smiling to myself with a satisfied grin I went back inside and began the preparations. Soon enough, I had a gorgeous plate of the most delicious brownies that I had ever seen.

I'd like to say that I didn't eat the entire plate but I can't because the call of the brownies was too strong. (Well, I didn't eat all of them because I dropped one on the floor.)

Sometimes, you win at the dieting game, and sometimes, when it calls you have to answer, eat what you need to and start again the next day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love.
sincerely,
someone who gets and eats the full gigantic candy bar from Aldi, the one with the almonds. lol

Gianetta said...

IT is a powerful thing. I'm approaching that age when hopefully it will go away forever..

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin