Monday, February 15, 2016

Craving Cupcakes...Again

I feel like Homer Simpson. Let me explain...

I'm on a low carb diet. Is there anything worse for a meat and potatoes girl like me? For my whole life, it's been about the white stuff.

Flour.

Potatoes.

Pasta.

Sugar.

Bread.

Did I mention potatoes? Mashed potatoes are my favorite food and I usually eat some form of potato every day. (Must be the Irish in me.) After nearly two months on this plan I've yet to find a suitable substitute for my Mr. Potato Head fetish.


One new food that I have discovered is flax seed, mainly flax seed flour. Yep, I said flour. It has a different kind of taste and texture to it. I've made flax seed bread that looks like Focaccia flat bread. I've made banana and raisin bread and apple flax seed muffins. I substituted Splenda for the sugar, and of course, flax seed flour for the regular white flour. The banana and raisin bread is really good.

I've already cut most of the sugar out of my diet, I'm pretty sweet without it anyway, at least that's what I've been told. But every once in a while, I get a serious craving for a cupcake. I was watching one of those cooking shows on PBS and they made homemade chocolate cupcakes complete with the white squiggly icing on top.



Talk about drooling...


They look good, don't they?

It might just be easier to go buy a single cupcake at a bakery somewhere instead of making a batch from scratch. The idea of flax seed chocolate cupcakes doesn't really sound appealing to me at all.

Sigh.

If only that picture of the cupcakes was scratch-n-sniff...my cravings might just go away!

3 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is hard to not crave carbs in the winter. Our body is screaming "sugar, flour, and more sugar, and it is very difficult not to comply.

Lisa said...

I hear you! I am doing the low carb way of eating and my craving is sweet cornbread!! Wintertime means soups and soups call for cornbread. But...I know that if I cave I will feel really awful afterwards and that is what usually keeps me going. Hang in there!

Gianetta said...

Starting Over: I gave in over the weekend and had a whole bowl of mashed potatoes. There's always tomorrow.

Lisa: I do well for about 4 days and then I have potatoes and maybe a sandwich. It might be cheating but if I know I can have something every four days, it tends to make me less grumpy.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin