Thursday, September 10, 2009

Multi Meat Vegetable Soup


I'm hooked on something!

I like to try new recipes out. They aren't really recipes but more along the lines of concoctions that I dream up.

Usually, I'll find something that I like and make it so many times I'll get sick of it before to long. This hasn't happened so far, so, I thought I'd share the ingredients with you.

For lack of a better title, Multi Meat Vegetable Soup was the best that I could come up with. However, I am open to suggestions if you have a better name.

The first ingredient is a leftover meat of some kind. I have used turkey, chicken, pork, and beef so far. Just whatever you have left from a whole chicken, pork loin or even pot roast. I like to buy one of those rotisserie chickens from Krogritz and then use the remains for the soup, but you can use whatever you like.

Leftover meat goes in a 5 quart stock pot and then add the following items:

28oz can of tomato sauce
15oz can of green peas, drained
15oz can of diced potatoes, drained
15oz can of corn, drained
15oz can of wax beans, drained
15oz can of beef broth or bouillon
15oz can of chicken broth or bouillon
15oz can of pinto or mixed beans
half stick of butter or margarine

To get the second meat I have used canned beef, chicken, or pork. Let it simmer for awhile and it tastes pretty good.

The seasonings are what gives the soup a particular flavor. The taste will vary each time depending on what you have in the refrigerator and spice cabinet. My main seasonings used are:

meat tenderizer
garlic salt
Molly McButter
Mrs. Dash
pepper
worcestershire sauce
hot sauce

I give about 5 shakes of each container.

The other seasonings can be steak sauce, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, even mustard. From the spice cabinet you can grab thyme, basil, oregano, whatever you like and suitable to your tastes. Sometimes, I add everything into the pot just to see how it turns out. It's up to you!

Give all the ingredients a stir and let simmer for about 30 minutes.

The mix of vegetables gives the soup a nice texture...no slimy stuff. You'll notice no cabbage, onions, celery or carrots and there's a reason for that: I don't like them!

I serve the soup topped with Parmesan cheese, extra pepper, and garlic breadcrumbs, tortilla strips, or wontons!

Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

3 comments:

Margaret Hall said...

Dang~!! This is a recipe for me~!! Being a veggie nut, and liking a tinge of meat, then I am all for it~!! Will try this, let you know the outcome...really~!!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

its that time of year for sure.

Rae said...

Nothing like soup as a comfort food! Yours sounds delicious!
I have been making Paula Deen's Potato Soup and it is fantastic! Thick, cheesy, easy and yummy! Look it up on her site or Food Network.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin