Thursday, July 28, 2011

Wham, Bam And Thank You, Ma'am

Mom and I had to go to Atlanta the other day to get a minor medical procedure taken care of and we found ourselves back at the same hospital where Dad was back at the turn of the Millennium.

Not much has changed in the ten years since we spent almost every waking hour at the hospital, going to the hospital or coming home from the hospital: We still make a wrong turn and end up going into the wrong parking garage. The traffic is absolutely terrible. The food is even worse and the little bistro that we used to sneak away to for a bit of quiet time folded up during the recession.

Something else that hasn't changed is the quality of the care received there: if you're sick and need to go into the hospital then that is the place to be; the medical staff rocks!

Anyhow, once Mom got called into the back I decided to go look for a pop machine; I was told that I had at least 30 minutes before I needed to be back in the waiting room. I walked back in the waiting room with Diet Coke in hand and the older lady sitting there with her even older mother looked straight at me and gave me the most quizzical look. I was surprised and a bit taken back but I asked, "Did you want me to get you a Coke too? I can run right back and get you one?"

"Oh, no!" they said in unison. "We've got water."

I had just settled back into my chair when Mom walked back into the room. Not from the back of the office but from the hall that I had just come from. "Where ya been?" she asked.

I don't know how long I was gone but it was nowhere close to 30 minutes. "How long have you been waiting? I just walked next door and now I know why these ladies were looking at me funny: we were chasing each other!"

"Oh, I don't know. I got the main Doc and he knows what he's doing. He said, 'Wham, and a bam and a aren't you glad you came, otherwise, you wouldn't get to see me.'"

"He really said that?"

"Yep! That wham, bam stuff I'm not sure of; I think he's French or something. You know what they say about those French guys...HeHe."

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin