Friday, August 1, 2008

One Handed Egg Cracking

I've been spending time watching the Food Network. I like to see what the other people are eating. I'll admit it, I like meat and potatoes. I am not a big vegetable eater. Some of the recipes look appetizing in the beginning, but then an ingredient has to be added to give it more flavor, to kick it up a notch, so to speak. No thanks! I'll take mine plain.

I like to watch the chefs do fancy knife work in the kitchen. I like to see a cook flip something up and catch it in the pan. I like to cook so one day I decided to have pancakes for breakfast. It was time to try the flip. It didn't work. I had forgotten to spray the bottom of the skillet and I just threw pancake batter all over the stove. Another time I was going to try and julienne potatoes for homemade hash browns. I sliced the tip off my finger and had to have six stitches to sew it back on. Maybe, I should start with something a little more basic.

I was flipping channels the other day and happened to land on the Food Channel again. The host was preparing some kind of egg dish. I'm not sure what it was, because I was transfixed on one activity: Egg cracking. Oh my goodness! The recipe called for 10 eggs and the host was breaking them with one hand and carrying on some sort of inane chatter about pickling pimentos for the upcoming winter.

Crack! Split and separate! Drop into the bowl.

Crack! Split and separate! Drop into the bowl.

Crack! Split and separate! Drop into the bowl.

I was mesmerized. This was something I could do. I went to the refrigerator to see how many eggs I had. I only had three, but I could start with that. I got down a bowl and reached for the first egg. I was nervous; in fact, the egg slipped right through my hand and went Crack! My cat, which is always around when I am in the kitchen, gave the broken egg a sniff, gave me a look, then turned around and walked away. I cleaned it up and carefully reached for the second egg. Crack! Dang it! Before I knew it, I had cracked the egg with both hands, just as I normally do.

This is it; I was down to my last egg. With egg in hand, I went Crack! I split and separated! I dropped into the bowl! Success! I ran to the telephone and called my friend explaining what had just happened. Silence!! One handed egg cracking she said, I've been doing that for years and I can't cook. (Harrumph)

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin