Sunday, March 1, 2009

Don't Quit Your Day Job

I'm trying to incorporate a little more fruit in my diet. I'm a little particular about the fruits that I like to eat. I guess you could say that I am a 'meat and potatoes' kind of fruit eater. I like the basic fruits such as bananas, pineapples, and strawberries. I really like strawberries, in fact, at one time, my nickname was Strawberry. In the fifth grade every piece of clothing I owned had a strawberry on it. I even had strawberry shoelaces, so everyone called me Strawberry.

I really like this time of year at the grocery store. It's when the first crop of new strawberries start arriving at the grocery store and they are usually on sale. A few days ago I was browsing the produce section when I came across the strawberry display. The display had recently been restocked but there was a few containers with not so fresh berries. When I shop for berries I pick the container up and carefully look over the carton making sure all of the strawberries are in good shape, not too ripe. I usually have to do this several times before I make my selection.

Normally, this doesn't create a problem for me. I pick the container up, give it the once over, and put it back in its spot. This time I wasn't so lucky. Every carton I tried to replace kept rolling or tried to fall off the display. You've seen those really big displays that you are afraid to touch in fear that one misplaced finger can cause the entire thing to come crashing to the floor. The strawberry display wasn't that big but I sure had fruit falling everywhere. I seemed incapable of placing the containers back properly.

As I tentatively reached for what I thought was the perfect container of strawberries the whole display started to sway to the left, cartons from the top started rolling towards the bottom and the cartons on the bottom started for the floor. I panicked. I started grabbing for berries and kept coming up empty handed.

With furtive glances around me to see if I was being watched I was surprised to see the manager of the grocery store walk straight up to me, grab the strawberry containers that I was holding, catch the ones that were about to fall and put everything back in its place.

As he walked away he left me with this parting remark: "Don't give up your day job! The stacking of the fruit is a lot harder than it looks."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this story of yours! I hope you'll write more!! Looking forward to reading more of your blogs!

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin