Thursday, June 16, 2011

WYYZ In Cincinnati


No, there's no Howard Hessman or Loni Anderson floating around, just me, living it up big in the 'Nati as we used to call it back in the day.

I was 20 when I left Ohio and moved south. I had only had my license for a few years and had only ventured out into parts of the city that had a softball field or shopping mall. I never really knew the difference from Blue Ash (where everyone worked) or Over-the-Rhine (which everyone avoided) and I knew I was always close to good shopping when I saw the "Florence Ya'll" (I thought it was a typo and read Florence Mall) sign.

I still want to listen to Q102 which in my childhood was the rockin' station. Nowadays, or so I'm told, it's not what people really listen to.

Since I've been here, I've made my sister drive. You have to get on I-75 to get anywhere and the road still has parts that have been under construction since I left in 1987--and I thought Atlanta was bad. There is one section that is down to two lanes and is filled with truckers and has concrete barriers on both sides. Throw in a rain storm and four singing (screaming) kids and you got one Middle-Aged Fat Woman with a butt puckered so tight you'd have thought I'd been eating cheese for a week.

In the next few days, I'm meeting up with some old friends from my childhood. Luckily for me, we're friends on Facebook so they already know that I have become a MAFW and can get past that first awkward moment of "What the hell happened to you?". Of course, I on the other hand do not have that luxury and will try not to say that if I see anything shocking.

I've had my Cincinnati style chili, got heart-burn as expected and enjoyed the frickin chicken wings at Frickers. I'll be off to Cherry Fork Road in a few days to pay my respect to my ancestors, have a pizza burger and then set the GPS for home.

As time has passed and the longer I'm gone from my childhood home, the less time I spend there. I don't really know who is married to whom and where everybody now lives. And that's okay because I have a new home now that is almost perfect; if only I had a Cincinnati style restaurant next door....

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin