Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cock-A-Doodle.....Dead...Part IV

"Kevin, get THAT chicken out of this house now," yelled Mom. "You weren't raised in a barn."

After some careful maneuvering and a little coaxing Brother finally cornered the erratic bird perched on the side of Mom's recliner.

Of course, the rooster left Mom a black smelly present when Brother snatched him up by the legs and carried him outside, squawking the whole way.(Nasty chickens) While I was trying to calm Mom down and clean up the chicken s***, I glanced out the door to see what Brother and the rooster were doing. Somehow, I wasn't surprised to see the chicken riding on the mower with him as he headed down to the garden to calm his nerves a bit. (You know those men, they have to stick together!)

With each passing day the new rooster began to settle in and become less afraid of himself and the hens. According to Brother, the hens were already beginning to lay eggs and he had several orders lined up from the neighbors. (Now, if only he could get those hens to lay a golden egg or two.)

A few days ago when I went up to help Mom with her yard sale (We never learn) I noticed one of the rooster's feathers floating around outside. I didn't think much of it until I asked Brother where the rooster was? It's hard to describe the disappointment that flashed across his face.

"Damn chicken hawk got him, I guess. When he first got here he was scared of everything, but he had gotten so tame that he probably thought it was a new friend or something," said my brother.

I nodded in agreement and we both shook our heads.

"That rooster was really nice, and he wasn't bothering anybody, and now he's dead. You can't have nothin'," said my brother.

My thoughts exactly.

2 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Sorry about your cockeral.... :(

Psttt dont tell anyone, but my chickens come into me kitchen and Janet can often be found sat in the cat basket with me cat lol

x

The Kano said...

Extremely sad to hear about the rooster's passing. I brushed away a tear, and let me express my deepest condolences to your brother. Even though I know this event has happened long ago,I doubt your sensitive brother will ever forget the rooster.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin