Monday, March 11, 2013

I Guess He Was Hungry


News reports have indicated that the economy is improving, albeit at a glacier-like pace. I'm still watching my pennies, clipping coupons and buying things on sale. I think my days of paying full price for anything are gone, and I really don't think that there is anything wrong with that. If you ask me, things are way too over priced anyway.
Anyhow, one of the things that I kept in my budget was a simple random act of kindness and that was to pay for the order behind me at the drive through on different occasions. The other day I was waiting to pay for my order and glimpsed a young man in a ratty old pickup truck behind me. What caught my eye was that he seemed to digging for something, probably loose change; I should know that look because I have done it often enough myself. I asked the clerk at the window how much the next order was going to be. It was only going to be $2.14, so I told him that I wanted to pay for it. (Even I could afford that!)

While I drove ahead to the next window to receive my order I watched in the rear view mirror to see what his reaction would be. Well, lo and behold, that young man gave me a wave and had the biggest grin you've ever seen--he really seemed excited. I received my order and exited the parking lot heading on a road that ran behind the restaurant. As I was going around the back of the restaurant I saw the same kid in the same truck had just driven around the restaurant and got back in line to go through the whole ordering process once again.

I'll never know the reason he went back through the line--maybe he didn't get a straw with his order or maybe he was just plain hungry…after all, he did have an extra $2.14!

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin