Monday, December 29, 2014

The Next 1000

A funny thing happened during my time writing this blog: I wrote a 1000 posts.

I mentioned it a time or two last year. I think. I think I might have even been excited about it at one time. I remember being really close to 1000, I think it was 992 or something and the next time I looked was today and now we are all the way up to 1018.

How did that happen?

Like a lot of other things in my life lately, I simply forgot. I don't know if it is age-related, a deficiency of some kind or simply that I have no clue what I am doing or what I am supposed to be doing. Or it could be a combination of all three? Who knows, or for that matter, who can remember what I was just referring to? Time to move on--I'm sure I'll remember it at some point.

Over the last couple of years, many of the bloggers that I knew have left the blogging world for one reason or another. Life can sometimes get in the way. People decide they want to do different things. And still others get bored with it--the routine of finding something interesting to write about.

For me, the process of publishing two books has taken a lot of the fun away from writing on this blog. Also, since I spend a lot of time on Facebook, it's easier to write three or four lines about something funny and get immediate feedback such as "likes" or comments than it is to write a 400-500 word blog post that you have no idea whether someone will ever actually read. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out what kind of writing I want to do.

A writer friend of mine you may have heard of, Gina Barreca, PhD, told me that it doesn't matter what you write as long as you write something. Every day if you can. Another friend of mine told me to stop worrying about writing the next bestseller and just write the best book that you can. Both are excellent suggestions and I hope to do just that.

I have found that I really missed posting regular updates on my blog. Mom and I have had all sorts of adventures and I continue to see the humor in the most unexpected places. Having said that, in 2015, my goal is to have three new blog posts a week while I continue working on my 4-part novel series. I believe by doing so that I will be able to keep you, the reader engaged, while keeping myself engaged as well. One of my shortcomings is I like to be a "one hit wonder"; write it once and move on to the next thing. I'm not a big fan of editing or rewriting. By writing fresh material for this blog, I will be able to do just that: keep it short, light and funny. (Not much editing to do there.) I can then focus on the more intricate and complicated plot lines that are occurring within my novels and really feel like I'm getting something accomplished.

It's really good to have a plan and I think this is a good start. For those of you that have read my blog since 2008, I offer a BIG THANK YOU and for those that have just stumbled across this site by accident, I say "thanks" to you as well.

Happy New Year!

And here's to the next 1000...



1 comment:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Writing 1018 posts is quite a feat. I have posted about 290, but have written twice that many. Sometimes I hit a snag and give up on them, then others I just do't like and aren't worth my time to fix.

Happy New Year and here's hoping you will reach 2000 posts this time next December.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin