Thursday, February 25, 2010

National Chili Day

I love chili, and if I don't pop a couple of Rolaids and a few Pepcids it will keep loving me back, for days. Can you say peat, and repeat? Anyhow, today, February 25, is National Chili Day.

There are different kinds of chili, and your tastes are usually decided by where you're from. I know Texas has dozens of different recipes for chili but the main thing about Texas chili is that they don't like beans in their chili.

Other areas like to use different kinds of meat such as beef, sausage, and even chicken mixed in different quantities, and with or without beans. (Me, I prefer beans, because, well, beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat...I think you know the rest.)

Some folks even like white chili, whatever that is, I tried it once at Panera Bread or somewhere, but I wanted to keep putting ketchup in it. (That's just me.) I think chili should be tomato based, but that's just one MA Fat Woman's opinion.

Another thing I get confused about is using the word chili so loosely. What exactly is the definition of chili? What about the stuff you put on hot dogs? Chili, coney or hot dog sauce? What about the stuff you put on spaghetti? Chili or spaghetti sauce? Beans or no beans? Three-way, four-way or five-way?

(Whoa, MA Fat Woman! What are you talking about?)

(Three-ways?)

(Get your minds out of the gutter.)

All of this has been leading up to what I feel is the best chili going: Cincinnati style chili.







I like both Goldstar and Skyline chili. Mom and I have driven up to Kentucky before to have our Cincy style chili. You can check that story out here. What makes this chili different is that cinnamon is used to give it a different taste and kick. It's really good.

The below photo shows a three-way which is spaghetti noodles, chili and shredded cheese. A four-way is achieved by adding onions and a five-way by adding beans. I prefer the three-way spaghetti. Did I say it's really good?

Three-way chili spaghetti



You can purchase Goldstar or Skyline directly from the companies and it comes in canned and powdered forms. You can also purchase Skyline at Krogritz in the canned form, and in some locations, buy it frozen. It's good, but it isn't quite the same as tasting it yourself in person.

Enjoy National Chili Day and have or make yourself some chili, however you prefer it. Me, can you say road trip, anyone?


7 comments:

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

We LOVE chilci - although, it doesn't always like me - ha! Just got a recipe from a friend for Turkey Chili - it was delicious!!!

LeeAnn said...

Yum! I love chili. I like it spicy, but my guy likes it mild - so I always have to add chili powder to it. OOhhhh...Skyline chili haven't had that in a while, now I am hungry for it... thanks.. :-)

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hi! T'anks for stopping by the blog -- March is taken! In fact, three people wanted march other than you - I wonder what makes March so popular?

Anyway - march, april, may, august, september, october & december are taken.....

Auntie E said...

I love the Cincinnati style kind.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Very funny post. I do love chili and it must be red and be very spicy.

diane said...

Chili is such a good idea for beating the snowy blues. I love the idea of chili spaghetti.
Hope you are well dear. I always enjoy reading your blog. Hugs. xo diane

Nomad said...

I lived in Cincinnati for about four years and used to love Skyline too. But I recall the first time tasting the cinnamon and thinking how odd it was.
Of course, Lasagna with a bit of fennel seed makes it great too but when you first think of the taste of "black licorice" in the middle of your Italian food, it's enough to make you queasy.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin