Sunday, February 14, 2010

Skunky Valentines


I was looking through Valentine's Day cards the other day trying to find just the perfect ones to give to family and friends when I became totally disgusted at how expensive they were--five bucks for a card--I don't think so. Anyhow, being the somewhat intelligent and extremely clever person that I am, I remembered getting valentines when I was in school for everyone in my class and they all came in one box.

Voila!

What a great idea! They each came with their own envelope and were generally large enough to be sent through the mail. The sayings might be seen as childish, but others might think they were cute and I could always insert a heartfelt hand written note inside. Plus, there were usually thirty cards in a box and they came relatively cheap. It sounded like a good idea...

...but?

...but?

I didn't know it would be so damn hard to find a box of ordinary old-timey valentines. Geesh! Here I was at Wallyworld and the only thing I could find was Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers and iCarly, and they weren't even regular valentines; they were stickers and activity sets. No, thanks. You can keep them! I left there and went to another store, then another and finally ended up at Dollar General, where I struck gold, or, so I thought.

They had boxes of valentines but the cards didn't come with any envelopes. Crap. I reached further down into the display where the cards were and I pulled out the very last box of valentines that had envelops. I was excited that something had finally gone my way, made my purchase and tore into the box of valentines as soon as I got into the car. It wasn't too long before my excitement began to fade as I realized that all of the cards had the same picture on them: A skunk.

Have you ever received a skunky valentine?

If I remember correctly, the skunk valentine was given to someone that you didn't like and for some reason I received quite a few. What does that mean?.

Do my family and friends really want to receive a Valentine's Day card that says "I love you...and...you're a stinker too?"

Happy Valentine's Day!


...Stinky!

5 comments:

Lin said...

Well, a skunk and Pepe Le Pue are two different skunks! Only Pepe says "love" like no other skunk does. :)

Jen said...

I think that is a cute card. Happy Valentines to ya! ~jen

Kathy said...

Good grief. What a rigmarole you had to go through. I hate spending five bucks on a card, too. In fact, I bought a red gift tag card for .99 to put on the gifts I bought my husband. I'd rather that $5 go toward the gift.

Gianetta said...

Lin: A skunk by any other name...is still a skunk.

Jen: Ditto!

Kathy: I certainly agree and thanks for spelling out rigmarole for me; that's something I'm adding to my dictionary.

Margaret said...

Ahhhh, I love the skunk card, it's cute~!! Geez, I remember in school days that it was a BIG hassle to figure out the RIGHT one to give to each and every person! Then, kids came along and the same darned thing~!! Yep, cards that are EXPENSIVE are a no-no here in this household~!! Go to the Dollar Tree..2 @ $1.00....
Cute post!

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin