Monday, January 18, 2010

Introducing The New Cat

A few weeks before Thanksgiving I was awakened one morning by a squalling cat outside my window. I rolled over and put a pillow over my head trying to drown out the noise, but it didn't work. I opened the door to find a large, fowl smelling creature sitting on my porch.

Over the next few days I tried everything in my power to get rid of this cat. I tried to shoo him off, I scared him away with the broom and I called all of the vets' offices. I called Animal Control (they didn't call me back) and I drove around checking for "lost cat" signs and I put an ad in the paper. I was convinced that he belonged to an old lady across the road and tried to give him back and that started a chain of events, phone calls and dealings with some of the nuttiest people that I'd ever run into, all to no avail. Nobody wanted and didn't have the capacity to take the cat.





If you look at the picture you can easily see why I decided to name this cat Ralph, as in Ralph Malph (Mouth), because he wouldn't shut up. I didn't want another cat and neither did the cat I already have. We're pretty old and set in our ways.

Evidently, at one time, somebody had loved Ralph. He was super friendly, had been neutered and followed me around like he never intended to let me out of his sight (which he hasn't). Two things come to mind, and they are that his owner died or his family lost their home for some reason or another and couldn't keep him. As I had just learned, there are no other options in my county for stray cats.

It doesn't matter really, I now belong to him and he belongs with me.

11 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

congrats on your new kitty.

Gail said...

You are a good person. He will settle down and it will feel like Ralph has always been there.
Thank you for saving a life.

A Lil Enchanted said...

Awww... I'm so glad that you have taken him in... sounds like he picked you and was not backing down.

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

Jen said...

Congrats on the new edition. Love the name! He reminds me of my ex husband, just wouldn't go away.

sally said...

Ralph knew what he wanted! Glad he talked you into letting him stay. Maybe your other cat will put him through a snubbing at first, but then they could become best buds.

Anonymous said...

So, Ralph made himself at home, huh?...What a soft heart you have, MAW~!!...He knew that right porch to meow on!....Good luck!

LeeAnn said...

He's adorable!!! Some (most) kitties are strong willed. He knew if he was persistent you'd give in. What's one more kitty, anyway. :)

sadermaxx said...

Congrats on your new kitty, it sounds like he sought you out.

Sheila said...

Sounds like to me Ralph was in love with you from first site. Way too cool and a cute cat.

Sparkle said...

There is a saying out there, "A cat knows a sucker when it sees one." It's part of our survival instinct. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks just like my BB - good for you to take him in - there is a special blessing for folks like you.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin