Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Top Ten Things I Never Run Out Of

I was visiting at my mother's house recently when she started looking for something. She looked in every cabinet, every drawer and even went into the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and still came back empty-handed. "What are you looking for?" I asked.

"I can't remember," she said.

"Oh. Is it food related?"

"I think so," she said.

"Well, why did you go in the medicine cabinet, if it's related to food?"

"Good, question. I think I went in there seeing if it would trigger what I was looking for in here. They say it's supposed to help."

"I don't think it's working," I said with a chuckle.

"Watch it, young lady! I hate it when I can't remember something." She glanced down at the cookbook that she had laid out and started skimming down the page. "Aha! That's what it was," she said and went back over to the spice cabinet.

"What is it?" I asked

"Mace!" she said. "I'm looking for mace."

"Don't you keep that in your purse?"

"Funny. Mace is a spice similar to nutmeg and this recipe calls for it. I know I had a can of that when we moved  down here," she said.

"Mom, that was 1985--surely you're not looking for a spice that old?"

"It'll be all right," she said, "spices don't go bad and mace is one of those thing that you never run out of..."

That got me to thinking about other things that you buy once and never run out of.

Here's my list:

1. Toothpicks - I think I have millions of them all scattered over the bottom of one drawer.


2. Baking powder - I've had the same can for at least ten years and I used it last week.


3. Marshmallows - I do admit to discarding five bags last week with various amounts left in each bag. (I blame this on the fact that I buy a new bag when I go camping because I can't remember if I have any or not.)

4. Celery seed - Can't remember the last time I used this; the box has colored from age.

5. Band-Aids - Maybe two or three used in any given year. I've got an industrial size box that I bought at the flea market several years back.

6. Vinegar - Still got at least half a gallon; don't remember when I bought it.

7. Instant cocoa - Boxes and boxes of it. I might have to check the expiration dates on some of them.

8. Windex - Obviously, I don't do windows.

9. Furniture polish - I use a feather duster most of the time. I only bring out the good stuff when company is coming over.

10. Batteries - I went a tad overboard when Y2K was rolling around. Remember? Who knew if anything was going to work after the clocks all flipped. They all did fine; I was the one that flipped out. I'm still using some of those batteries, although the expiration dates are approaching fast. No worries, though, because I buy a new pack every time I go to the store.

What about you? What's the one thing you'll never run out of?

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin