Monday, July 28, 2008

Paying With Cash

My sister and I decided we were going to go see an afternoon movie at the bargain movie theatre. It cost $1.75 to see the early show and was usually quite crowded. We were running a few minutes behind schedule. Not to the point of missing the beginning, but to the point of having to skip getting popcorn or we would miss the start of the picture. So, we decided to split up. I would buy the tickets and she would get in line to buy the popcorn.

As I approached the ticket counter, I noticed that two lines were open and they seemed to have the same amount of people. I jumped in line number one and was the sixth person in line.

The first two customers purchased their tickets and were on their way. I wasn't really paying attention to anything, just standing in line. All of a sudden, an older lady behind me jabs me in the back and says, "Can you believe those people up there? They are paying with coins."

I didn't say anything, I just gave a slight nod acknowledging that I had heard what she said. The lady selling tickets gave a slightly bemused look as the small child proceeded to put $1.75 in pennies, nickels and dimes on the counter.

The child received her ticket and a companion stepped up to the counter with the same amount of coins that began to slide and roll all over the counter. JAB!! The old lady hit me again and I turned around and looked at her, "That is so rude," she said. "I don't have time to wait on this foolishness."

"Maybe, it is their allowance that they are spending or change that they have collected over time," I said.

"I don't care where they got them coins, I'm gonna talk to the manager about this. Making me have to wait this long."

The third child in the group proceeded to drop her coins on the counter. My sister was looking at me telling me to hurry up. The lady behind the counter whose cash drawer was now overflowing looked up at the next customer, shrugged and kept on counting. I knew the jab was coming before I actually felt it. I dodged it. Oh my goodness! I thought that lady was gonna have a conniption fit or something.

I finally received my tickets and was about to walk away when I overheard something that nearly stopped me in my tracks. I heard the lady talking quietly to the children that were with her, "Put your change away. I'm paying with my debit card."

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin