Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm A Techno Failure

This wonderful story is for everyone out there who has ever operated a computer, a recording device, a word processor or any type of application that requires you to save something.

We, as a society, have become too complacent regarding the save button.

Duh? That’s what auto save is for, or so I thought.

This morning, sitting out on the porch with the cat, I began working on my latest tale about New Kids on the Block. I must’ve been possessed or something, the words were just flowing. I get real excited talking about Rock-n-Roll. That’s what they said back in the 50s anyway. I miss Elvis—but, that’s another story. I had a zinger for this and a retort for that. Smokin’, I say.

I had finished my story and was getting ready to copy and paste it into a Word document. I hit the Shift and Down arrow at the same time to highlight the text and it scrolled past the last line on the page and was gone. Just like that, two hours of my poetic prose right down the drain. (Please, don't try this at home.)

I didn’t hit the Delete button.

Where did it go?

I screamed very loud, slammed my laptop shut, spilled my beer, scared the cat and proceeded to pitch (as we like to say in the south) the biggest fit imaginable.

I called my techno friend and explained the situation. Did I save it, I was asked. It has auto save, why should I have to save the dang thing?

My friend asked around the office and all of her coworkers came up with the same question. Did I save it?

No! It had auto save.

It’s gone, she said. I suggest you use Word first then paste it into your site. Didn’t this happen to you before on a very important term paper a few years back? I thought you would have learned your lesson.

Okay, I admit it, I’m lazy. With all of this technology floating around, why should I have to hit the Save button? Why can’t I outsource it, everyone else does.

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin