Wednesday, August 6, 2008

08-08-08...The Olympics Are Coming To NBC

This date is embedded in my brain. NBC officials have been spouting this for the last ten years. On 08-08-08, tune in for the opening ceremonies of the blah blah blah Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch sports of all kinds. But, what I can't stand is when the Olympics are in a time zone on the other side of the world, the media has already reported the winners of that day's races before I get to watch them in primetime.

I already know that Michael Phelps won a gold medal in swimming. (He's supposed to win 8)

I know the Redeem Team beat Switzerland 245-24 in the first round of basketball.

I know that at least 5 people daily are testing positive for some form of doping and will have to give back their gold medals.

I know that Coca Cola and Visa are proud sponsors of this year's Olympic Games.

I already know that one East German male athlete will turn out to be a female. (Wait, that was a flashback from the 70's)

And, I already know that an Olympic marathon is 26.2 miles and will probably be won by someone from Kenya.

I know the Olympics start on August 08, 2008. I'll probably be watching events that I already know the outcome of before it even starts. Tell me something I don't know. Tell me what China is doing to solve the Tibet situation? Tell me what China is doing to control the amount of pollution that they are producing each day? Tell me what China is doing to make its exports safer for American consumers? (In case you haven't looked at a label lately, everything practically comes from China) Tell me what the Communist leadership of China is doing to protect the rights of protesters? (Jailing them) What about Taiwan?

Okay NBC, you got my attention about 08-08-08, I have bought into the hype. I'll be watching. How about a report on one of the topics I mentioned? Better hurry though, because once the Olympics have started and you are actually reporting from China, you won't be allowed to say anything at all.

No comments:

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin