Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Big Chill

I almost fainted a couple of days ago. It seems that the weather people were actually correct with a weather forecast.

The forecasts said to expect Arctic temperatures. A huge cold front was sweeping down from the north which was already frozen over.

They were right. The older house that I live in is really quite drafty. To get warm you have to go outside and stand in front of a window because all of the heat just seems to go out through the window. I tried putting plastic sheeting over the window but the cat attacked it and shredded it from top to bottom. (I think he thought it looked tacky or something.)

I have stuffed towels and blankets around the door jams in an effort to seal off the drafts but that doesn't seem to be working either. I usually have to go into one of those rooms as soon as I get it sealed off.

Mom stopped by for about 30 seconds yesterday. She wanted to know if I had anything against turning up the furnace. I walked her over to the furnace and showed her it was on full blast. She just shivered and said it feels like the icebox that we used to live in on Cherry Fork Road.

As she was heading back out the door she noticed that I was in my winter gear. Long johns, sweat pants, two pairs of socks, t-shirt, sweatshirt, hooded jacket and a skull cap. She just laughed and said it was a good thing that I remembered how to layer my clothes because it was going to be even colder tonight. You can always come spend the night with me she said.

I might just take her up on that. Anything below 45 degrees and I become practically useless. I moved to the south for a reason. I just didn't expect the big chill to follow me.

1 comment:

Da Old Man said...

It was 10 here, with a wind chill below 0.
45 sounds positively balmy.
Stay warm.

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin